Monday, June 14, 2010

How to make clear ice in your freezer

Over several months, I experimented with methods of making completely transparent ice cubes at home. The problems with the process are that chemical impurities and/or dissolved gas (air) cause opaque ice and that ice freezes from outside in, so any dissolved gas is trapped.

I followed many recipes suggested on various websites, but none worked satisfactorily (often leaving a central area of opacity). Finally, after probably ten iterations of my own experiments, I arrived at an easy method of reproducibly making clear ice.

1. Acquire ice trays. I own four of these.
2. Buy distilled water (found at most grocery stores).
3. Acquire a food vacuum sealer that includes a marinating container like this one.
----
4. Place ice tray in the bottom of the marinating container, but leave the lid of the container off.
5. Raise a sufficient volume of distilled water to a boil in a small saucepan. The scientific basis for doing this is the fact that dissolved air cannot exist in very hot water.  (That's why, as water on the stove heats up, little bubbles form on the inner surfaces of the pot even before the water boils.)
6. With a 60cc syringe (probably available at a decent pharmacy) or some other tool (turkey baster?), transfer boiling water into ice tray.
7. Seal the filled ice tray in the marinating container, and vacuum seal the container. (Note that the decreased air pressure makes the water resume boiling despite being off the heat.)
8. Immediately place the marinating container in the freezer.
----
9. After 24 hours (or less), remove container from freezer and release the seal to reveal clear ice cubes.


These clear cubes are totally worth the effort and small expense.  Aesthetically, they truly add to the cocktail, making it a beautiful experience to the eyes as well as to the palate.  I constantly get unsolicited compliments (yes, sometimes I fish for compliments, but not in the majority of these cases!) when I serve drinks with these cubes.  I can't believe I lived without them for so long.  Now, I'm embarrassed to have opaque ice in my drinks.  Therefore, proceed at your own risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment