Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Libation Bearers Drink Database

I've found that my brain is not well trained to be a bartender.  The problem is that I can't immediately call to mind a large number of drinks that fit a person's request.  Rather, I can think of one or two at a time.  And since people's requests are often redundant, I find myself making the same drinks over and over, even though I am actually familiar with a lot more than that.  I've wanted to have some sort of a database which I could search using keywords.  For instance, it would be nice to search for refreshing, gin-based drinks which use raspberry syrup and to have a list of drinks generated for me automatically.  That would take the heat off of my beleaguered brain.

I haven't solved the problem completely, but I've taken a few steps forward with the development of The Libation Bearers Drinks Database. It's a growing list of recipes with keywords attached to each drink.  I (or you) can search by drink name, ingredient, or descriptor.  I have no intention of even approaching comprehensiveness; rather, it's a list of drinks that I can make at my bar with the spirits et al. that I routinely stock.  Use it if you please.  The link has been permanently placed at the top of the right-hand column.

1 comment: