Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tuesday night cocktail hour(s) (cont. iv)

Mackenzie showed up FINALLY, and I started manufacturing the Ramos Gin Fizz which I promised her earlier in the day. Having never made one before, I was interested to see in what noodle-like state my arms would be after I was done with it. I used the recipe I found in one of my old New Orleans cocktail books:

1 egg white
2 oz heavy cream
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz (2:1) simple syrup
3 drops vanilla extract 
Combine and shake like the dickens for at least a minute. Then add
2 oz gin (I used Old Tom this time, but would usually use a London dry like Plymouth)
3-4 drops orange flower water (Which I did not have. For kicks, I substituted 3 drops of creme de violette and 1 drop of Fee Bros. orange bitters)
Shake like the dickens for another minute or until your actin, myosin, and kinesin apparati are done broke; strain into a tall glass; and add a straw.

I was pleased both with the flavor and texture of my first Ramos Gin Fizz, and I think that Mackenzie, the queen of the RGF, herself, was, as well. I was displeased with my cardiac conditioning and the stength and conditioning of my arms; but that will surprise no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment