Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wed dinner at Clancy's

I spent about 7 hours on Wednesday in the car, driving half-way to Birmingham to make an illicit-appearing cat exchange with my father in the median of the interstate in rural Mississippi. On the way home, Rich called to complain about getting back from vacation and wanted to use serial maneuvers of yoga and alcohol to outflank his bad mood. We therefore resolved to eat and drink at Clancy's.

I walked in and took a seat in front of Garth, Clancy's venerable barkeep. I asked Garth what he was making these days, and the reply was, "Same old crap." So I figured I'd show him the Juliet & Romeo. I ordered dinner (chicken/andouille gumbo, arugula salad with vinegrette, and halibut with garlic/butter sauce and topped with crawfish tails, plus fried potatoes and asparagus). During dinner, I decided to get another drink, so I ordered a Last Word. I don't know why I did, but I did.

3/4 oz London dry gin
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz green Chartreuse
3/4 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur

The Last Word is an excellent and very interesting drink. The combination of chartreuse and maraschino in such large volumes is a little scary on paper, but it works. The Chartreuse's usually-dominant piney/herbal flavor is gently cut by the maraschino (which is generally added to a drink by the teaspoon). The two combined balance the tartness of the lime which, with the gin, make this a surprisingly light drink.

Also, and this is in no wise directed at Garth, these equal-part recipes are convenient to have in mind when you find yourself before a bartender that you don't trust to make you a good drink. It's hard to mess up equal parts (although I have had this very drink massacred when someone substituted Pernod for Chartreuse). I'm sure I'll write about a few more as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment